Friday, July 13, 2018

No Longer A Bigot


During the last year to two of my stint as a pastor, I refused to say being gay was a sin and encouraged people who were gay to continue their relationship with their partner or to find a partner with whom they would be happy. (Imagine my boss's horror - my BAPTIST boss, nonetheless!)

However, that was not always the case. I hate to admit it, but prior to those last few years, I had been a homophobic bigot and saw being gay as a sin, and "counseled" people accordingly. I hate that I did, and it is one of the greater regrets I have about my pastoral years.

One of my favorite things resulting from my leaving religion and becoming atheist is the lack of any of those bigoted and judgmental lenses whatsoever, and the resulting ability to love everyone, regardless of their sexual orientation, and to truly celebrate their love - to celebrate love, period! Love is love!

I watched this video twice, and I don't mind admitting, I teared up! This video is awesome; their love for each other is so amazing and so evident! I can honestly say that I am truly happy for them - something religion did not allow me the freedom and pleasure of doing!




2 comments:

  1. James,
    I am K.S. Dots from facebook. This is my favorite video of all times. I don't know how many times I have watched it. Written and directed by Seth Andrews and narrated by Nathan Phelps. Nathan is the son of Fred Phelps of Westboro Baptist. You can find his story on You Tube if you care to look it up. Nathan is the big guy in the red shirt at 3:14. I hope this lifts your heart as it does mine. Enjoy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6IPFyHEv3o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi K.S. I am familiar with this video - I love it! I actually posted it on my Facebook timeline while I was still a christian. It definitely lifts my heart. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete